friday night is traditionally our pizza night, has been for quite some time, and we (i) usually make it from scrach. here's how it's done:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp yeast (dry active)
1 cup warmish water
dash of sugar
- pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. dissolve yeast in water, add sugar. a foamy surface will soon appear- this is called proof. if it doesn't start after about a minute or two, add a wee bit more sugar.
- meanwhile, combine flour and salt (whisking is good for this) in the bowl of an electric mixer (or a large bowl if making by hand) and stir in olive oil.
- once yeast has proofed, add it to the dry mixture. using your mixer with the dough hook (instert pirate growl) on low mix until all combined. sometimes you may need to add more water or flour (tbsp at a time) depending on the weather and your altitude.
- continue to kneed the dough until it is nice and smooooooth in texture and soft to the touch- that's when you know it's ready. remove from mixer and divide in half.
- smush each half on greased pizza sheets from the centre out, as shown below my one of my lovely assistants, seth.
7. bake in pre-heated oven for 13-15 minutes on middle rack. slice and enjoy!